Good morning everyone! Can you believe I made it to the terminal in this weather. Actually, it’s not so bad because it’s a straight shot down Shaker Blvd. Since it’s so cold again, if you are picking up your box, ring the doorbell and I will open the garage.
This week I decided to change things up a bit and I got artichokes and bananas. If your bananas seem to be taking a long time to ripen, put them in a paper bag with an apple. (Some organic bananas aren’t gassed with ethylene to promote ripening like conventional bananas.) Each box got either broccoli or 2 extra artichokes. When you pick up a box, you can pick which you like better.
This week 2nds are apples.
I have a few extra dozen eggs, so let me know if you want any before they are gone.
Below is a recipe for your artichokes. If you want to make it a little healthier, substitute some tahini for mayonaise. I plan on using only 1-2 T of tahini and thinning it down to the consistency of mayo.
Artichokes With Lemon Dipping Sauce Recipe
Nutritional Info (Per serving):Calories: 104, Saturated Fat: 0g, Sodium: 626mg, Dietary Fiber: 6g, Total Fat: 3.5g, Carbs: 17.5g, Cholesterol: 3mg, Protein: 3g
Carb Choices: 1
Prep Time: 13 mins
Cook Time: 30 mins
Total Time: 43 mins
- 1/4 cup(s) mayonnaise, light
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel, grated
- 1/4 cup(s) lemon juice, fresh
- 1 tablespoon mustard, dijon-style
- 2 clove(s) garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper, black ground, freshly ground
- 4 medium artichoke(s), fresh
1. Combine first 7 ingredients in a small bowl; stir well. Cover and chill.
2. Wash artichokes by plunging up and down in cold water. Cut off stem ends; trim about 1/2 inch from top of each artichoke. Remove any loose bottom leaves. With scissors, trim one-fourth off top of each outer leaf.
3. Place artichokes in a large Dutch oven; add water to depth of 1 inch. Bring to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 25 minutes or until tender.